The Department of Digital Innovation, in collaboration with the Institute For the Future (IFF) and the Erasmus Office of the University of Nicosia (UNIC), announces the first Blended Intensive Programme (BIP) on blockchain and crypto, which will take place online (26-30 September 2022) and at UNIC premises (3-7 October 2022).
This BIP Programme is funded by the Erasmus+ Programme and offers an introduction to blockchain technologies and will cover a variety of hot topics such as digital currencies, DAOs, NFTs, the Metaverse and Web3 and discuss the new possibilities that blockchain has to offer to all industries.
BIP Participant Universities are UNIC, University of Jaen (Spain) and Siauliai State University of Applied Sciences (Lithuania) and all their participants will receive 3 ECTS upon the completion of the course.
External participants are welcome to attend the course.
Designed by UNIC’s faculty, the 30-hour program aims to:
- introduce blockchain technology and describe and understand its technical components including consensus algorithms; encryption techniques and hash functions; smart contracts.
- explain the peer-to-peer communication paradigm and its advantages over the traditional one.
- familiarize students with Layer 1 blockchain, such as Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- introduce decentralized applications and present several use cases.
- introduce CBDCs and DAOs and their associated legal and security risks.
- present NFTs, Web 3.0 (the decentralized Web) and the Metaverse.
The total cost for the boot camp is 500 EUR, which includes tuition fees, food and beverages for the entire duration.
- Tuition fee: The tuition fee is 350 EUR and it is payable at registration.
Tuition Fee is waived for student/faculty/staff of NUSCT members and NEOLAiA consortium members.
- Food & Beverage: The cost for 2 coffee breaks, 1 buffet lunch per day and 1 social dinner is 150 EUR. This fee is payable at registration and included in the total cost mentioned above. This fee is also waived for NEOLAiA consortium members.
You may proceed with your own accommodation arrangements for your stay in Nicosia. Below you may find some accommodation options:
There are two airports operating in Cyprus:
Transportation from/to airports:
- Kapnos Airport Shuttle offers the only shuttle service between Nicosia, Larnaka International Airport and Paphos Airport. Seats can be reserved through the company’s website. The current fare is at 9€ per route.
- Taxis are always available (24hrs) at both airports for your transfer to Nicosia. Taxis can be booked by phone, or hired directly from the street, and are equipped with taximeters – the use of which is obligatory. Charging commences upon the passenger entering the taxi, and is based on the chart which can be found here
80 seats are available. 20 seats are available for the general public, 20 seats for NUSCT members, and 40 seats for NEOLAiA members. All seats are on a first-come-first-served basis.
NEOLAiA members and NUSCT members should contact Dr Melpo Iacovidou and Ms Marianna Charalambous (see contact details below) for further details.
All NEOLAiA members can also contact UNIC Erasmus Office ([email protected]) for any information or inquiries related to their Erasmus Mobility to Cyprus.
Registration deadline is 16 September, 2022.
A 50% refund will be provided for any cancellation of registration by 19 September, 2022.
All students who successfully complete the programme, will receive a certificate of accomplishment, digitally verifiable on the Bitcoin blockchain.
For more information and questions regarding the short course, please contact Dr Melpo Iacovidou at [email protected] and Ms Marianna Charalambous at [email protected].
The Blended Intensive Programme (BIP) is funded by Erasmus+