TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA, 3 Semesters) – Distance Learning
|Qualification Awarded||Master of Arts in TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages|
|Level of Qualification||Master Degree (2nd Cycle)|
|Language of Instruction||English|
|Mode of Study||Distance Learning|
|Minimum ECTS Credits||90|
Profile of the Programme
To provide students with a strong professional foundation for developing practical teaching skills in relation to TESOL; to further students’ understanding of English language teaching.
- To develop in the student an understanding of a range of disciplines and areas of professional activity which underpin the field of TESOL and constitute its focus and its concerns;
- To provide students with a solid theoretical foundation and the necessary professional skills in TESOL;
- To equip the students with the linguistic knowledge, cultural understanding, and pedagogical training essential to the various aspects of TESOL;
- To provide theoretical and/or practical support for actual situations within the language classroom,
- To develop students’ skills in critical reading and ability to design a research project,
- To provide the theoretical and/or practical basis required for the study of a doctoral degree.”
The MA TESOL programme prepares students and educators for global careers as ESL/EFL teachers and course developers. It is designed for those who may have little or no substantial teaching experience but who wish to gain a substantial postgraduate qualification early in their professional lives in the field of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Graduates will be able to be employed as teaching professionals at private and state institutions, both in Cyprus and abroad, teaching English to non-native speakers of the language.
Access to Further Studies
The graduate programme will provide the basis for acceptance to a doctoral degree in TESOL or Applied Linguistics.
The minimum requirement for admission into a post-graduate degree programme is a Bachelor’s Degree. More specifically, the following entry requirements apply for the MA in TESOL programme:
- All applicants for entrance in the MA TESOL programme offered by the Department should have at least a lower second class (2:2) Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in English Language/ English Linguistics and/or English Literature from a recognised university.
- Teaching experience is not essential but preferred. Tutoring experience is helpful.
- Applicants with a lower grade or whose degree is on a related discipline will be considered on their own merits.
- Two academic reference letters.
- Personal Statement: A letter highlighting the applicant’s individual competencies and strengths and providing his/her reflections regarding the expectations and value of the programme as well as to his/her personal advancement and career development.
English Language Entry requirements
If the candidate’s first degree was not taught in English language, then the candidate needs to provide evidence of his/her English Language proficiency as follows:
- A British Council International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7 (or above) with a minimum score in each component of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking of 6.5, or
- TOEFL 580 (paper-based test) or 237 (computer-based test) with a score of not less than 4 in TWE or 92 (internet-based test) with not less than 21 Writing, Listening 21, Reading 22 and Speaking 23,
- or IGCSE minimum score ‘B’
- or Cambridge Proficiency English (CPE) minimum grade C
- or Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) minimum grade B.
- or Cambridge Michigan ECPE Proficiency – Pass
- or score placement at the ENGL-101 level of the University of Nicosia
English language test results should not be older than 2 years.