Clinical Dietetics (MSc, 2 Years or 4 Semesters)
|Qualification Awarded||Master of Science in Clinical Dietetics|
|Level of Qualification||Master Degree (2nd Cycle)|
|Language of Instruction||Greek|
|Mode of Study||Full-time and Part-time|
|Minimum ECTS Credits||120|
Profile of the Programme
- To impart knowledge and develop capacitate of the students through state-of- the-art higher education in the area of Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics and Medical Nutrition Management;
- To develop students to become health care professionals for services in various fields of clinical nutrition and medical nutrition management and related areas such as hospitals, academics, research, industry, clinical nutrition departments, training, extension and community service;
- To develop capacities and abilities and enable students to pursue higher education and research in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics
On successful completion each student is eligible to apply for registration as a clinical dietitian at the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Technologists and Dietitians (CyRBFSTD).
The only MSc in Clinical Dietetics in Cyprus.
Fulfills the requirements and expectations of the Cyprus Registration Board for Food Scientists, Technologists and Dietitians, Cyprus Dietetic and Nutrition Association, Health and Care Professional Council for the title of RD.
Our graduates may be employed in the following sectors/areas:
- Work as Clinical Dietitians in Hospitals/Clinics with Consultants with health care centres/schools/corporate organizations/NGOs
- Technical marketing in Pharmaceutical and Nutraceutical Industry for nutritional support products/nutraceuticals
- Clinical Research
- Independent practice
- Clinical Dietitians in Food Industry
- Freelance Clinical writing
As public interest in food and health grows, career opportunities for qualified dietitians are expanding every year. The largest employer of the graduates is either in hospital or community health services, in a range of organisations including research institutes, consumer groups, food retailers, and government departments and agencies. Others can become successful as food and health journalists or developed careers in the food and pharmaceutical industries.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the MSc program (Thesis Option) may continue their studies towards a PhD/DProf degree
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 90 ECTS and all program requirements. A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 3.0 is required.
With the University of Nicosia MSc in Clinical Dietetics degree, the student is eligible to the title of the Clinical Dietitian. The graduate students will gain the knowledge, skills and professional attitudes necessary to practice as a clinical dietitian. The programme includes courses, practical placements and a research thesis.
- Scientific and Evidence Base of Practice: integration of scientific information and research into practice
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate how to locate, interpret, evaluate and use professional literature to make ethical evidence-based practice decisions.
- Use current information technologies to locate and apply evidence-based guidelines and protocols.
- Professional Practice Expectations: beliefs, values, attitudes and behaviors for the professional dietitian level of practice.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective and professional oral and written communication and documentation and use of current information technologies when communicating with individuals, groups and the public.
- Demonstrate assertiveness, advocacy and negotiation skills appropriate to the situation.
- Demonstrate counseling techniques to facilitate behavior change.
- Locate, understand and apply established guidelines to a professional prac