Profile of the Programme
The University of Nicosia MBA programme aims to provide students with a solid foundation of business education enabling them to become effective managers anywhere in today’s globally competitive fast changing environment. This programme aims to offer a programme that is highly integrated in context and practical by remaining close to actual business practice. It aspires to assist students develop the ability to develop their management and leadership skills, operate effectively in a multicultural environment and to adapt quickly to changing social, political, legal and economic conditions.
More specifically the programme’s main objectives include:
- Equipping students with all necessary skills, attitudes and approach to guide their decisions as business executives
- Developing students’ abilities to handle today’s problems and prospects for business organizations functioning in a competitive world
- Allowing students to develop their theoretical and practical skills and knowledge
- Enhancing intellectual development and student graduate maturity
- Assisting the students to analyse, examine, investigate and compose the new knowledge and competencies they will acquire
- Ensuring the highest possible penetration of each subject inquiry and exhaustion of conceptual academic as well as practical implications.
- Securing the necessary level of education for obtaining specialized knowledge and competencies and demonstrating mental independence
- Offering an insight into professional possibilities and modern organizations functioning in the context of today’s competitive world
- Providing participating students with the skills necessary to guide both their short and long term decisions.
- Providing international management education to its participants that will enable them to become effective general managers anywhere in today’s globally competitive environment
- Providing students with graduate level of business education focusing on both theories and research from a holistic business point of view
- Providing students with the necessary skills, attitudes and approach to guide their decisions as business executives
- Providing students the ability to handle today’s problems and prospect for business organizations functioning in a competitive world
- Giving emphasis on European and International business perspectives
We expect our students to come from Management or Senior Management positions at different areas of private interest and organizations within government and industry both locally and abroad. Companies like Royal Dutch Airlines, Revlon, Tradex, Cyprus Telecommunication Authority, Cyprus Electricity Authority, Air Trans, Cybarco, Demstar, Addidas and many more. Positions held by some of our graduates include, Marketing Director, Commercial Finance Manager, Public Relations Director and Financial Controller etc.
During the past few years our graduates have been placed in different market positions. Quite a few have undertaken Bank positions, posts in off shore companies and in Academic institutions. Some of the posts include a consultant in the Ministry of Libya, Senior IT in a company in the United States of America, Director Manager of a major Granite company, Director of Demstar, Finance Director of a University and many more.
Access to Further Studies
Many of our graduates of the MBA programme, have continued with Doctorates Degrees in Cyprus, Greece, UK and the USA. The MBA of the University of Nicosia was a stepping stone for further academic and professional studies.
View/Download the Programme Leaflet
The minimum general requirement for admission to the post-graduate degree programme is a Bachelor Degree from a recognised university.
In addition to the above, applicants must also satisfy the following requirements:
- Proficiency in Greek for the Programme offered in the Greek Language
- Standardized Test Scores- The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required of all students with a minimum score of 400. Students with a COA of 2.5 or higher on the 4-point system or 2.2 for UK standards or equivalent, or three years of professional experience, will be exempted from the GMAT. A candidate without the GMAT may be provisionally admitted and allowed to take the foundation courses, but will need to submit their GMAT scores as stated above, in order to be accepted as MBA students.
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating the applicant’s education, academic and professional experience, any publications, awards, etc.
- Letters of Recommendation – Two recommendation letters from individuals who have known the applicant in his/her educational and professional environment are required.
- Personal Statement – The applicant is required to submit a comprehensive outline highlighting his or her individual competences and strengths and providing their reflections regarding expectations and the value of the programme to their personal advancement and career development.
English Language Proficiency
Students satisfy the English requirements if their first degree was taught in English. Otherwise, they would need to present a minimum TOEFL score 550 and above, or Computer-based TOEFL score of 213 and above, or Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) score 79-80 and above, or GCSE (or GCE) English Language “O” Level of “C” or above or IELTS of 6.5 and above. The University offers English courses at various levels to help students reach the required standard for admission to a graduate program.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid-terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
The student must complete 90 ECTS and all programme requirements.
A minimum cumulative grade point average (CPA) of 2.0 is required. Thus, although a ‘D-‘ is a PASS grade, in order to achieve a CPA of 2.0 an average grade of ‘C’ is required.
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective leadership and management skills with heightened cultural awareness and a refined global outlook
- Demonstrate academic independence and synthesize their individual professional profile when dealing with major issues relating to their career
- Perform in-depth academic research
- Implement their acquired discipline knowledge in a practical manner, through the writing of their thesis and be able to apply their knowledge to real life situations
- Apply the abilities gained, taking an integrative point of view of all analytical tools that assist in performing in-depth analyses of industries and competitors, predict competitive behaviour, and analyse how organizations develop and sustain competitive advantage over time
- Design and run effective organizations and assist them in achieving superior performance
- Manage the Human Resources of their organization and motivate people to achieve their organization’s vision
- Evaluate their organization’s competitive position and apply appropriate marketing and strategy decisions for further enhancement of its position
- Utilize the complex processes underlining the development and manufacture of products as well as the creation and delivery of services
- Apply a balance between scientific research and business reality
- Evaluate complex investments, set and execute financial policies within an organization and enhance their negotiation skills
Section: A – Foundation Courses
Min. ECTS Credits: 0 Max. ECTS Credits: 0
||Foundations in Economics
||Foundations in Accounting
||Foundations in Statistics and Research
Section: B – Core Courses
Min. ECTS Credits: 52.5 Max. ECTS Credits: 52.5
Section: C – Specialization Courses
Min. ECTS Credits: 22.5 Max. ECTS Credits: 22.5
Notes: Choose 3 courses.
Section: D – Integration
Min. ECTS Credits: 15 Max. ECTS Credits: 15
Notes: Students may choose MBAN-670DE and MBAN-736DE or MBAN-895AE and MBAN-895BE.
||Decision Making Methods and Tools
||Organizations and HR Management
||Financial and Managerial Accounting
||Financial Markets and Institutions
||Enterprise Information Systems
The above semester breakdown is an indicative one. A few of the courses are electives and can be substituted by others. Students may contact their academic advisor and consult their academic pathway found on this website under “Schools & Programmes”.