Seminar “Right-Wing Populism in Europe and Cyprus” held successfully at UNIC
The University of Nicosia’s (UNIC) Department of Politics and Governance, in collaboration with the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Cyprus, organized a seminar titled “Right-Wing Populism in Europe and Cyprus” on Thursday, June 1, 2023. The event, held at the UNESCO Amphitheatre in the Europa Building at the University of Nicosia, aimed to address the rise of right-wing populist parties (RWPPs), shaping the political discourse and posing a growing threat to democratic institutions across Europe.
The seminar provided valuable insights into understanding the reasons for the success of these parties, exploring their voter base, discussing strategies for progressive parties to respond effectively, and focusing on Cyprus, with particular attention given to the National Popular Front (ELAM).
Distinguished speakers from various institutions, including UNIC, the University of York, and the Cyprus University of Technology, shared their expertise, enriching the discussions and offering valuable perspectives on the topic. The speakers included:
- Prof. Andreas Theophanous (Head of the Department of Politics and Governance, President of the Cyprus Center for European and International Affairs, UNIC)
- Prof. Hubert Faustmann (Director FES Cyprus Office and Professor for History and Political Science, UNIC)
- Prof. Daphne Halikiopoulou (Chair in Comparative Politics, University of York)
- Ass. Prof. Yiannos Katsourides (School of Law, UNIC)
- Dr. Leandros Savvides (Adjunct Lecturer, Cyprus University of Technology)
- Christophoros Christophorou (Political Analyst)
- Ass. Prof. Giorgos Charalambous (School of Law, UNIC)