University of Nicosia, June 2022*
Transformation has become a central discussion theme in the higher education landscape worldwide. Forecasts reveal that higher education institutions might become virtual entities that compete for survival, which will render face-to-face interaction of the lecture hall redundant.
Out-of-classroom learning spaces will likely become more important as students will learn in their own communities. Service-learning is a transformative pedagogy that emphasizes out of classroom experiences as a learning space, the community as a textbook and where theory becomes practice.
The purpose of the 8th International Symposium on Service-Learning is to focus on transitions in higher education and the role that critical service-learning plays in social transformation. For this, the Symposium splits into two parts: one taking place in virtual format in June 2021, and an in-person Symposium at the University of Nicosia in June 2022.
One of the main areas of focus will be on student and faculty delivery of critical service-learning experiences and becoming agents of positive change for their communities and universities. We will learn more about the significant role that service-learning plays in students becoming more engaged and active citizens, faculty teaching in more critical and collaborative ways, and the community growing into living knowledge incubators. These focal points will be threaded throughout a variety of presentation types and formats to allow for meaningful dialogue among academics, community partners, students, and other professionals.
The 8th International Symposium aims to:
- Explore the complexities of transitions and transformation within higher education across the world.
- Enhance the systemic transformative social impact of critical service-learning in society.
- Illuminate and enhance service-learning as an innovative transformative pedagogy for social change.
- Strengthen networking between different institutions of higher education and community partners on a global scale.
- Proliferate participation in service-learning practice in higher education by developing a community of practice through this conference.