The 8th International Symposium on Service-Learning (ISSL), continues to build on the momentum generated by past symposia:
▪ The 1st ISSL, Service-Learning Models for the 21st Century: Intercommunity, Interdisciplinary, International was held at Stellenbosch University in Stellenbosch, South Africa, in 2005.
▪ The 2nd ISSL, Service-Learning in Higher Education: Paradigms and Challenges, was held in 2007 at the University of Indianapolis in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
▪ The 3rd ISSL, Service-Learning in Higher Education: Educators, Communities, and Students, was held in November 2009 at the University of Indianapolis campus in Athens, Greece.
▪ The 4th ISSL, Service-Learning in Higher Education: Connecting the Global to the Local was held in September 2011 in Ningbo, China.
▪ The 5th ISSL, Service-Learning across the Globe: from Local to Transnational was held in November 2013 in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
▪ The 6th ISSL, Service-Learning as a Global Movement: Transforming Communities & Higher Education was held in May 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
▪ The 7th ISSL, Service-Learning as a Response to Global Transitions in Higher Education: Opportunities for Transforming Higher Education and Advancing Social Impact was held in June 2017 in Galway, Ireland.