What is an Erasmus+ Traineeship (Work Placement)?
Erasmus+ supports traineeships (work placements, internships) abroad for UNIC students at Bachelor and Master Level as well as for doctoral candidates.
The Erasmus+ Traineeship Program provides funding to students, and recent graduates of the University of Nicosia to work for 2-12 months in an enterprise/organization in another European country. Traineeships can be recognized by the University and contribute to students’ qualifications either in ECTS credits (usually recognition of an internship course) or in the Diploma Supplement.
- Traineeships abroad are supported during Bachelor, Master and Doctorate programs.
- Traineeships can be part of the student`s study program (for which the approval of the department is needed).
- Traineeships can be recognized by the University of Nicosia and will contribute to your qualifications either in ECTS credits (usually recognition of internship course) or in the Diploma Supplement.
Erasmus students can find traineeship opportunities in various ways, mainly by:
- Contacting the Erasmus Office of the University of Nicosia, as there is an available database of traineeship offers.
- Directly contacting employers or companies in other countries (via email or telephone).
- Responding to calls for traineeship applications posted by employers on websites or other forms of media.
- Communicating with a recognized work placement agency which will help you find and negotiate a suitable traineeship – Some agencies are charging fees or some agencies they have their own conditions. However, it is your own responsibility to handle the conditions if you get in touch with such agencies.
- The traineeship must have a minimum duration of 2 months and a maximum duration of 12 months.
- The duration and timing must be agreed and approved by the UNIC Erasmus Office and in the case of practicum recognition, by the Practicum Coordinator.
- Erasmus traineeships can take place in all European member states and in any type of enterprise/organization (with limited exceptions).
- Students should feel free to pursue their traineeship in any kind of company or organization they wish and it is related to their field of studies.
The following types of organizations are not eligible:
- EU institutions and other EU bodies including specialised agencies (their exhaustive list is available on the website);
- Organizations managing EU programmes such as Erasmus+ National Agencies (in order to avoid a possible conflict of interests and/or double funding).
- The Erasmus Grant amount (calculated on a monthly basis) is proportional to the cost of living in the country of destination, based on estimates of the European Commission.
- It is your personal responsibility to arrange for your accommodation and living expenses with the amount of funding granted to you.
Prior to departure:
Prior to the departure, students are provided with:
- A Grant Agreement covering the whole of the mobility period signed between the student and the University of Nicosia.
- A Learning Agreement regarding the specific traineeship programme, approved by the student, the University of Nicosia and the host enterprise.
At the end of the traineeship period:
- For a traineeship which is part of the curriculum, the University of Nicosia will offer full academic recognition for the whole period spent abroad, by recognizing ECTS credits to the students’ academic path.
- In case the traineeship is not part of the curriculum of a student, the University of Nicosia will provide the student with a Diploma Supplement.
The sooner the better!
The earlier you start your preparation for a traineeship, the more likely it is that you will find one suitable for you.
There is a lot of competition for traineeship positions so you should start the process as early as possible.
What will I gain from a traineeship abroad?
- Traineeships provide an excellent opportunity to gain work experience in an international environment and to practice all knowledge gained during your studies.
- It is a great opportunity for personal, academic, cultural and linguistic development through living and working in another country.
- It will considerably enhance your CV by providing international employment experience.
- It can improve your employability potential and may lead directly to future employment.
- Traineeships are funded, so you will receive an Erasmus Grant and possibly additional payment from an employer.
Call for Applications in English
Call for Applications in Greek
Contact: Stella Stylianou
Email: [email protected]