Scholarship Opportunity – Call for Applications for the Doctorate (PhD) in TESOL | Fall 2021
The Department of Languages and Literature at the University of Nicosia is offering a scholarship for its PhD TESOL programme commencing Fall semester 2021.
The scholarship is open to applications that focus on the study of TESOL within the Cyprus context.
Specialized areas of study within this context may include, but are not limited to the following: Teaching English with technology; Sociolinguistics; Second language pragmatics; Bilingualism and multilingualism; Interlanguage and intercultural education; Literature in second language education; CLIL; Second language teacher education. (See below for more areas of study – Faculty members’ research areas).
The scholarship will be awarded to a new application to the PhD TESOL programme. It is not open to students currently pursuing their PhD. The scholarship coverage is a tuition fee reduction of 70% and will be awarded on the applicant’s competitiveness and merit, and the strength of the research proposal submitted. Applications will only be considered if they fully meet the admissions requirements set out below.
More about the programme:
The programme aims to meet the increasing demand for specialists and researchers in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages in schools, universities, government, and other organisations throughout the world. The doctoral programme is a PhD programme by Coursework and Thesis that aims to enhance the ability of ESL/EFL teachers, teacher educators, researchers, and curriculum/materials developers to create, conceptualize, design and implement a substantial research project that generates new knowledge and contributes to theory and practice within the field of TESOL. The specific aims of the programme are to:
- Develop students’ in-depth understanding and critical analysis of current literature and research methodology in the field of TESOL;
- Provide students with a critical awareness of current problems and debates within the field, and enhance their skills in critical evaluation of theoretical and empirical literature relevant to TESOL and their area of specialization.
- Provide students with the research skills and competencies to be able to undertake an original and significant research project that merits publication in the field of TESOL.
- Develop students’ skills in communicating TESOL-related research knowledge to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Enable students to make a significant and original contribution to the field of TESOL through the advancement of scholarly knowledge and professional practice.
- Enable students to become autonomous and expert researchers in the field of TESOL with an understanding of the quality of research required for potential peer-reviewed publications.