Scholarships offered by UNIC for studies in Management Information Systems (BSc)
The University of Nicosia announces five (5) scholarships amounting to One 75%, Two 50% and Two 25%, to be offered for studies in the BSc programme in Management Information Systems (MIS), during the academic year 2020-2021.
Management Information Systems is the ideal choice of studies in current times of social, economic and technological change and is associated as a professional field with significant challenges taking place today and in the coming decades. MIS is therefore a sector with high income and fast employment prospects.
To be evaluated, the Application must have all supporting documents, High School Leaving Certificate and ID and other relevant documents. Proof of English proficiency and Essay as per Selection Criteria below. Guidance on the Admission process can be found here: https://www.unic.ac.cy/admission-requirements/application-procedure/
Applications received that are complete, will be sent for evaluation to the Head of the Department of Management and MIS, Prof. Despo Ktoridou, at [email protected], copying the Associate Head of the Department, Dr. Epaminondas Epaminonda ([email protected]) and Mr. Nicolas Antartis ([email protected]).
Deadline: 20 January 2021
Following the submission of applications, a designated committee will be formed, which will be comprised of professors from the UNIC Department of Management and MIS, as well as of professionals from the MIS sector. The committee will undertake the task of evaluating all candidates and selecting the three outstanding ones, who will be awarded the scholarships.
Basic selection criteria are the following:
- High School Diploma with overall grade 17/20 or above
- Good knowledge of the English language
- A 300 word essay explaining why Management Information Systems specialisation is ideal for the candidate
Important Questions before you enroll in our BSc MIS Programme
Q1: What is MIS?
Management Information Systems or MIS is a 4-year Bachelor of Science. Unlike the graduates of computer and engineering sciences who have an in depth of IT knowledge but have nor the knowledge or skills to apply and solve business and management problems, MIS graduates possess an extensive knowledge, skills and competences of IT, business, management and economics.
MIS is perhaps THE ONLY specialization that is aligned with the continuous Technological, Economic and Social Changes:
- A unique specialization that combines 3 distinct areas: IT, Management and Economics
- The study of technology, people and organizations and the relationships among them.
- A people-oriented field with an emphasis on providing services, solutions, and information through technology
Q2: Why should You study MIS?
The THREE MOST IMPORTANT reasons for every graduate:
The demand for Management Information Systems professionals is constantly high and is expected to rise even further in the future. According to the latest stats of the EU Job Mobility (EURES) there are 642 833 positions in the area of MIS (EURES, December 17, 2020, 17:20)
The field of MIS offers both exceptional salaries and above average employment prospects.
The US Department of Labor: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), projects that by 2026 positions in the computer science and information technology will grow 13%. Namely by 2026 there will be an expected need for nearly 30,000 new information security analysts, (growth rate of 28%).
Flexibility to seek career opportunities:
The biggest advantage that MIS graduates have compared to other technical profession graduates is the flexibility to seek career opportunities among a big number of career paths including:
- Application Development Specialist
- Information Systems Manager
- Business Intelligence Specialist
- E-Business Enterprise Systems Expert
- Decision Support Specialist’
- IT Consultant
- Project Manager
- Software Engineer
- Network and Database Administrator
- Computer Support Specialist
- Computer/Data Security Analyst
- System Analyst
- Website Development and Management Expert
- Knowledge Management and Business Analyst
Q3: Why BSc at the University of Nicosia?
- High Employment Rate: Our MIS students enjoy employment rates of more than 98% within two months of graduation
- Preparation for professional certifications: Project Management Professional (PMP); Microsoft Professional (SQL Server Administrator, Data Warehousing, etc.)
- Yearly Re-Engineered Programme Curriculum: Constantly aligned with the new trends of technological, economic and social developments
- Task based Internship opportunities: From 3 months to 1 year Internship placements in Cyprus, EU and abroad
- Strong connections with the industry: Industry-driven courses and Gusset Lecturers from the industry sharing their experiences with MIS students
Applications for admission to the programme will be considered only from candidates that fulfill the minimum entrance criteria as described below:
- The general admission requirements for entry to an undergraduate programme of study is a High School Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualification with minimum grade 17/20.
- In addition to a strong academic record, we take into account the student’s extra professional certifications such as ECDL Certificates, Microsoft Certificates.