Call for Applications for the Master (MSc) in Clinical Psychology | Fall 2023
The University of Nicosia announces the opening of fifteen (15) positions for admission to the Master (MSc) in Clinical Psychology for the Fall 2023 semester of the academic year 2023-2024.
The three (3) year Master of Science degree in Clinical Psychology aims to integrate clinical, academic and research aspects of training. Upon completion of their training, students will be able to engage in applied practice of clinical psychology with different populations. The programme also offers students the opportunity to design and conduct empirical research. A major aim of the programme is to cultivate in training clinicians an ethical professional identity that will guide their work as researchers and as practitioners.
How to Apply
For information related to the master programme, contact Ms Elena Constantinou via email at [email protected] .
The application can be submitted online through the following link https://www.unic.ac.cy/apply or in person by visiting the Department of Admissions at the University of Nicosia.
|School||School of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Duration||3 years (6 semesters)|
|Number of Positions||15 (fifteen)|
|Selection Criteria||Preselection on the basis of evaluation of qualifications and final selection on the basis of an individual interview|
|Application Deadline||19 May 2023|
|Interviews||Estimated to take place between 29 May 2023 – 16 June 2023 (Interviews will be conducted in English)|
By the end of the programme the graduates will be able to:
- Critically analyze and synthesize clinical perspectives from the main schools of thought in Clinical Psychology.
- Utilize knowledge and skills in clinical interviewing, assessment, diagnosis and psychotherapy, as derived from a variety of psychotherapeutic approaches, which can be effectively applied in varying treatment contexts.
- Practice the profession of Clinical Psychology guided by high ethical and professional standards, as outlined in the Code of Ethics of the Cyprus Board for the Registration of Psychologists, as well as the international Codes of Conduct pertaining to the profession.
- Value, appreciate and respect the diversity represented by individuals of differing cultures, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, religion, age, physical/mental status, and disability.
- Adopt a scientific approach to addressing questions relevant to Clinical Psychology by examining available evidence, and demonstrate proficiency in research methods.
- Develop proficiency in presenting clinical data in written and oral form.
- Demonstrate competence in working as clinical psychologists with a range of clinical populations through supervised clinical training experiences in private and/or public settings.
- Utilize psychometric assessment methods for the purpose of clinical diagnosis.
- Comply with the current legislation for professional psychologists in Cyprus.
- Meet the requirements for acquiring the EuroPsy as set by the European Federation of Psychologists Associations (EFPA) (for students who opt to complete 1500 hours of supervised clinical practicum).
- Engage in self-reflection, identify weaknesses in their work as practitioners, and utilize clinical supervision to overcome them.
- Approach the profession of clinical psychology as a lifelong learning process and pursue opportunities for continuing education and personal and professional development.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES
Academic Qualifications: An accredited bachelor’s degree in psychology and official transcript.
Application Form: Applicants must submit an application form for admission and start the application process to the programme. The application form requests general information about the applicant, their qualifications, relevant experience etc.
Curriculum Vitae: a complete CV specifying all academic and professional activities.
Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must obtain three (3) recommendation letters from professors who are familiar with their academic work. The needed recommendation letter template can be requested from [email protected]
English Language Proficiency: TOEFL (paper-based test 600, computer-based test 250, internet-based test 100), IELTS 6.5, IGCSE B or NEPTON level ENGL-101. Students who graduated from an English-speaking University are exempt from this requirement.
Other Qualifications: Such as publications, relevant seminars attended, previous practical experience etc.
Personal Statement: Applicants are required to submit a personal statement explaining the reasons motivating them to pursue this degree and why they believe they are suitable for admission to the programme. In their statement of purpose, applicants are encouraged to convey who they are as a person, and not simply outline their academic qualifications.
Individual Interviews: Having reviewed each application and applicant’s suitability against the entry criteria, an Interview Committee will determine which applicant may proceed to the interview. Interviews will be conducted in person or on-line where required.
Final Evaluation: In view of the limited number of applicants to be admitted to the programme, the Interview Committee will decide on the basis of merit and by evaluating specific criteria who are the most suitable candidates to be admitted to the programme.
Application Fee: An application fee of €55 (non-refundable) will need to be paid upon submission of the application. Alumni of the University of Nicosia are exempted from this.
Once admitted, students whose native language is not Greek will be required to demonstrate proficiency in the Greek language at the B1 level (as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) before advancing to the Clinical Practicum Seminar (in the Spring semester of their second year).
Local students may be required to prove their Greek proficiency during the Interview stage of the evaluation procedure.
Submit your Interest in a Programme of Study
Complete the below form indicating your preferred programme of study and we will send you additional information prior to the event. In this way, we hope many of your queries will be answered before we have the chance to meet in person.