What is an Erasmus Traineeship ( Work Placement)?
The Erasmus Traineeship (Work Placement ) enables Higher Education students to go on a work placement for typically 2 to 12 months in an enterprise in another European country. The traineeships can be part of the student`s study program.
· Erasmus work placements are supported by the European Commission and include an ERASMUS GRANT.
· Traineeships abroad are supported during Bachelor Master and Doctorate programs of study and also after graduation.
· Traineeships can be recognized by the University of Nicosia and will contribute to your qualifications either in ECTS credits (usually recognition of internship course) or in the Diploma Supplement
Why? What will I gain from a traineeship?
· Traineeships provide an excellent opportunity to gain work experience in an international environment and to practice all the knowledge gained during your studies.
· It is a great opportunity for personal, academic, cultural and linguistic development through living and working in another country.
· It will considerably enhance your CV by providing international employment experience.
· It can improve your employability potential and may lead directly to future employment.
· Traineeships are funded, so you will receive an Erasmus grand and possibly additional payment from an employer.
Erasmus students can find traineeship opportunities in a various ways, by:
· Contacting the Erasmus Office of the University of Nicosia as they have a database of traineeship offers.
· Directly contacting employers or companies in other countries (via email or telephone).
· Responding to calls for traineeship applications posted by employers on websites or other forms of media.
· Communicating with a recognized work placement agency which will help you find and negotiate a suitable traineeship – these agencies usually charge for their services.
· The traineeship must have a minimum duration of 2 months and a maximum duration of 12 months.
· The duration and timing must be agreed and approved by the University of Nicosia, which is responsible for providing recognition of the learning outcomes of the traineeship.
· Erasmus traineeships can take place in all European member states and in any type of enterprise/organization (with limited exceptions).
· Students should feel free to pursue their traineeship in any kind of company or organization they wish.
The following types of organizations are not eligible:
- European institutions (such as the European Commission)
- Organizations managing EU programmes (such as National Agencies) in order to avoid possible conflict of interest and/or dual funding
- National diplomatic representation (embassy/consulate)
· The grand amount (calculated on a monthly basis) is proportional to the cost of living in the country of destination, based on estimates of the European Commission.
· It is your personal responsibility to arrange for your accommodation and living expenses with the amount of funding granted to you.
Prior to departure:
Prior to the departure the students are provided with:
A Grant Agreement covering the mobility period and signed between the student and the University of Nicosia.
A Learning Agreement regarding the specific traineeship programme, approved by the student, the University of Nicosia and the enterprise.
At the end of the traineeship period:
For a traineeship which is part of the curriculum, the University of Nicosia will offer full academic recognition for the period spent abroad, by recognizing ECTS credits to the students’ academic path.
In case the traineeship is not part of the curriculum of the student, the University of Nicosia will provide the student with a Diploma Supplement or, in the case of recent graduates, by providing a traineeship certificate.
The sooner the better!
The earlier you start your preparation for a traineeship, the more likely it is that you
will find a suitable one for you.
There is a lot of competition for traineeship positions so you should start the process as early as possible.
Erasmus Office: Millennium Building, 1st floor, M102
Contact: Georgia Argyrou, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel.: 22841571