Student Records and Confidentiality
The University maintains a Student Register containing the names of all students. The nature of the Student Register and the information contained for each student is shown below:
• General Information – including the student ID and contact information.
• Financial Data – such as tuition and fees, payments, financial aid etc.
• Performance Data – semester-by-semester data on courses taken, grades, GPA, credits transferred, academic standing and academic awards.
• Academic Affairs – Communication regarding probation and disciplinary matters.
All student information is considered to be confidential and subject to the Data Protection Act, and therefore access is limited to authorized officers of the University. No information on students is made available to non-university personnel except certain information on non-EU students required by the Ministry of Education and the Immigration Office to ensure compliance with regulations relating to student load and student visas.
According to University policy non-registered inactive students' files are kept for five years, after which, only the University transcripts/degrees are available.
Students have the right to review, inspect, and challenge the accuracy of information kept in a cumulative file by the institution, unless the student waives this right. It also insures that records cannot be released in other than emergency situations, without the written consent of the student, except in the following situations:
1. To appropriate school officials and faculty, under the supervision of the Registrar or Senior Registration Officer;
2. To potential employers or colleges and universities, which the student intends to transfer, upon condition that the student is notified of the transfer, receive a copy of the record if desired, and have an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the record;
3. Student Records: To authorised representatives of the legitimate government agencies in Cyprus;
4. To a student's financial sponsor;
5. Where the information is classified as directory information. The following categories of information have been designated by the University as directory information: student's name, address, telephone listing, major programme of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent educational institution attended by the student, enrolment status (full or part-time), place and date of birth, date of admission, date of graduation, whether or not currently enrolled, classification (freshman, etc.) and whether the student has participated in officially recognized activities and sports sponsored by the University;