The University's Mission
The University of Nicosia aspires to be a leading contributor to excellence in education and research.
To help students become educated individuals, achieve their academic and professional goals and assume responsible roles in a changing world of European cooperation and global interdependence; to promote research and the generation of knowledge; to be of service to society through the dissemination and application of knowledge, as well as through innovative partnerships with business and civic society institutions.
Statement of Values
To foster within the University community the values of personal and academic integrity; the liberty to question and to pursue knowledge; of respect for the laws of the Republic of Cyprus, the European Union and the University; democratic governance and management of the institution; respect for persons; professionalism and diligence; ethical behavior; civic responsibility; multi-cultural awareness; tolerance; sustainability of resources; entrepreneurship and innovation; personalised attention and student focus.
- The promotion of science, knowledge, learning and education, through teaching and research for the benefit of society;
- The cultivation, transmission, application and inter-disciplinary exchange of knowledge, and
- The provision of high quality undergraduate and graduate education that is internationally recognised, and of other programmes of study, which are of an international standard.
The University gives top priority to providing students with academic and professional skills such as:
- To become educated individuals and develop critical skills and communication abilities, achieved through liberal arts and general electives. Evidence for this is their work while at University, including critical essays, assignments, individual and group projects, presentations, internships, educational trips etc; plus the various distinctions/prizes, awards earned by our students through their participation in numerous conferences, community activities, and so on; and
- To acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for their profession, instilled through specialised courses which the relevant professions require before graduates can practise. Evidence of this being achieved is the approval of our programmes by various professional bodies such as the Legal Council of Cyprus in Law, the Nursing and Midwifery Council, ETEK in Architecture, Computer Science and Engineering and the ACCA and ICAEW in Accounting (through the maximum exemptions allowed). With these academic and professional skills, UNIC graduates are able to succeed at a regional, European and global level.
Focus on Research
Research at the University focuses on a variety of global and local issues, including health, complex networks, social organisation, education, ICT, engineering, and environmental sustainability. Our researchers examine contemporary challenges from a wide range of perspectives, including technological and scientific advances, and modern culture and thought. They apply their expertise, derived from addressing local, regional and national concerns, to key issues with global impact; and develop teams to bring disciplinary strengths together to approach such issues. Cutting edge research is carried out in the areas of Educational Technology, Virtual and Augmented Reality, and Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
Contribution to Society
The third priority is service to society and innovative partnerships with other institutions. This is illustrated by the innumerable academic and public service activities such as the Citizen’s Free University, international conferences, seminars, lectures to inmates and the public presence of our faculty in the media for current affairs.
Making Cyprus an International Education Centre">">
Internationalisation is a central component of the University's strategy. This includes partnerships for degree programmes, student mobility, and opportunities for students post-graduation in academia or industry, in order to share knowledge and capabilities across countries. The first and largest medical programme in Cyprus was formed in collaboration with St George’s, University of London. Today, the Medical School attracts students from around the world. In Greece, we offer several joint Masters degrees with the top Greek universities: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, University of Patras and the Hellenic Open University. These are some of the most popular degree programmes in Greece. We intend to actively continue our partnerships with leading universities around the world, on both the academic and research front.">